The ultimate guide to custom-fit night guards for teeth grinding.
This ultimate guide compiles all the information you need about custom-fit dental night guards for teeth grinding (bruxism). We start with an introduction to teeth grinding or bruxism and discuss how custom-fit night guards treat teeth grinding. URBN Dental is one of the best dental clinics in Houston for bruxism treatments — we provide the ideal custom night guards to stop grinding teeth.
Why do people grind their teeth?
Most people grind or clench their teeth occasionally due to stress, anxiety, or other factors. However, persistent teeth grinding occurs due to a condition known as bruxism. Even though bruxism doesn’t cause any harm in and of itself, it eventually damages the surfaces of your teeth and leads to other oral complications.
Teeth grinding due to bruxism can be triggered by stress, anxiety, misaligned teeth, crooked teeth, sleep apnea, or other such factors. It can also happen in your sleep. Since teeth grinding often happens at night, most people aren’t aware they suffer from bruxism. Dull and constant headaches or jaw soreness are indications of bruxism. If you experience teeth grinding, your sleeping partner might also notice the grinding sounds at night.
If left untreated, persistent teeth grinding can lead to damaged teeth or even loss of teeth. The constant grinding may wear down the dental surfaces, producing cracks and fractures. In those cases, you’ll need dental crowns, bridges, or other prosthetics to preserve the damaged teeth. Severe teeth grinding can also place considerable stress on your jaw muscles, leading to TMD issues. The worst cases of teeth grinding can also affect your facial anatomy and shape.
How to treat teeth grinding? Can teeth grinding be cured?
The best way to cure or treat teeth grinding is with custom-made mouthguards for teeth grinding. However, mouthguards usually protect your teeth from damage but don’t treat the underlying cause of teeth grinding. The following are some tips to stop teeth grinding naturally:
- Reduce caffeine, chocolate, and coffee consumption.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Stop chewing gum because it makes your jaws more likely to clench even without a gum.
- If you notice that you’re grinding or clenching, make yourself stop. Place the tip of your tongue between your teeth to make your jaws relax.
- Hold a warm cloth against your cheeks to relax your jaw muscles.
Most of the tips mentioned above work slowly. It takes time to completely stop teeth grinding. In the meantime, wearing a custom-made night guard is the perfect means of protecting your teeth at night. The dental guard provides a protective layer between your teeth to prevent them from gnashing against each other. Even when you clench or grind your teeth, you’ll do it on the soft night guard material.
What are the types of dental guards?
- Over-the-Counter Teeth Guards: You can find cheap over-the-counter dental guards in most stores and clinics. However, they provide little to no protection because they’re not customized according to your specific dental anatomy. They’re also uncomfortable.
- Boil-and-Bite Teeth Guards: These dental guards have to be boiled and then bitten into to make them conform to the shape of your teeth. However, they’re also uncomfortable and don’t provide optimal protection.
- Custom-Made Mouth Guards: Custom-made mouth guards for teeth grinding are prepared at professional dental laboratories and customized to address your unique needs. They offer optimal protection against teeth grinding and bruxism.
What are the benefits of custom mouthguards for grinding teeth?
Custom-made night guards provide the best protection against nighttime teeth grinding. They provide protection against teeth grinding and clenching, reducing the damage caused to the dental surfaces while sleeping. Unchecked teeth grinding and clenching may eventually lead to the erosion of enamel, making dental guards crucial.
The following are the primary benefits of custom mouth guards for grinding teeth:
- Prevent tooth damage and health problems.
- Treat TMJ and prevent other bite-related disorders.
- Protect your teeth and jaws from additional tension and stress.
- Reduce chronic headaches caused by persistent clenching.
- Improve the overall quality of sleep.
- Protect the prosthetics, such as dental crowns and bridges.
How much is a custom fit mouthguard?
The overall cost of the custom-fit mouthguard depends on several factors, including the type of mouthguard and your dental anatomy. Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth, diagnose teeth grinding, and provide an overall cost during the consultation. Please contact our dentists to discuss your custom-fit mouthguard options today.
How long do night guards last?
Ultra-thin mouthguards for daytime use generally last between 6 and 12 months, but night guards may last several years. If your dental guard breaks, you must contact your dentist immediately for a replacement. You might be able to get a replacement for no additional cost if the dental guard is within its warranty period. Please discuss the details with your dentist.
How can I clean and maintain the mouthguard?
You can clean your mouthguard using a simple toothbrush and toothpaste after every use. You should store it in cold tap water but change the water regularly to prevent bacterial growth. You must avoid alcohol-based cleaners for your mouthguard.
Contact our dentists for your mouth guard to prevent teeth grinding today.
URBN Dental is one of the best dental clinics for teeth grinding treatments in Houston, TX. Our dentists carefully examine your teeth, diagnose teeth grinding, and curate customized mouthguards for your specific needs. For more information, please schedule an appointment with our dentists today.