Veneers Q & A
What are veneers?
Veneers are thin overlays of porcelain that perfect the appearance of your teeth. They look entirely natural, but correct imperfections in your smile’s look. Dr. Nguyen bonds the veneers directly to your teeth for a permanent solution to an imperfect smile.
What are the benefits of veneers?
Veneers vastly improve the look of your teeth and as a result can boost your self-confidence. Dr. Nguyen only needs to remove a small amount of tooth structure to apply the veneers, leaving most of your teeth intact. Plus, the material used to make veneers is resistant to stains from coffee, red wine, and other foods that can yellow your natural teeth.
What types of conditions can be corrected with veneers?
Veneers can be an alternative to crowns or other more invasive dental work. They’re often the best way to:
- Create a uniform, white smile
- Correct crooked or misshapen teeth
- Whiten discolored or stained teeth
- Even out tooth size and equalize spaces
- Enhance the look of worn or chipped teeth
How do you take care of veneers?
You care for veneers just as you would your natural teeth. Regular brushing, flossing, and professional cleanings keep them pristine and help you maintain good oral health. The hygienist should always use a non-abrasive polish on your veneers to keep them pristine. Once they’re applied, you must avoid chewing very hard objects, such as ice, as it can damage the veneers.
What are the benefits of DaVinci veneers?
Veneers produced by the DaVinci laboratories are of the highest quality porcelain. These veneers have an excellent reputation for durability, fit, and appearance. You may have seen DaVinci veneers featured on America’s Extreme Makeover.
How are veneers applied?
To apply veneers, Dr. Nguyen shaves very minimal amount of enamel from your teeth’s surface. This allows the overlay to fit naturally on your teeth. An impression of your teeth is sent to the DaVinci laboratories to produce the veneers while your fit with temporary veneers. When the veneers come in, they’re bonded to your teeth using a special cement. The procedure is irreversible.
What Are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are very thin shells made of ceramic (porcelain) or a composite resin. These are bonded to the front of visible teeth for the cosmetic uplift of your smile. The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), defines veneers as a “thin piece of porcelain used to re-create the natural look of teeth, while also providing strength and resilience comparable to natural tooth enamel.” Veneers are custom made to match the contours of your teeth and carefully bonded to them. Application of veneers requires little or no anesthesia. Under certain circumstances, they can be the ideal choice for greatly improving the aesthetics of your front teeth. Veneers are placed to mask spots and discolorations, to brighten the appearance the teeth and to improve your smile. Once applied, veneers will generally last for many years if properly installed and cared for.
When Are Veneers Useful?
Veneers are an effective cosmetic solution in many situations. Veneers are an option which is much less intrusive and less expensive than crowns or braces. some of the situations corrected by veneers are:
- Discolored Teeth– teeth can get stained or discolored for various reasons, like, poor dental hygiene, acidity, use of certain medicines, etc. Discolored teeth can normally be whitened at home or by a professional. But if whitening does not work for you, or you need to get your teeth whitened too often, veneers are a good option. They are an excellent method of masking stains and changing the appearance of your front teeth.
- Damaged or Fractured Teeth– Teeth which have somehow got damaged and look bad can be aesthetically covered with veneers to give them a good, acceptable appearance. Fractured teeth will additionally get a support from the veneer body.
- Discolored Fillings in Front Teeth– Veneers are ideal for covering discolored fillings in front teeth which mar your smile.
- Teeth with Gaps– Patients who have gaps between their front teeth can use veneers to make the gap appear normal.
- Chipped or Worn Teeth– Front teeth which have chipped, broken, or worn out, can be fixed with veneers.
- Mis–aligned Teeth– Veneers are also an excellent means of covering misaligned and crooked teeth if orthodontic treatment cannot be afforded.
How Are Veneers Placed at URBN Dental Uptown?
The procedure for applying veneers is very simple. The entire procedure can be completed in three or fewer appointments. The following steps will normally be involved.
- Smile Design- This is perhaps the most critical stage. You are encouraged to actively participate with your dentist during this stage even if you have to get more than one appointments. Try to understand what veneers can do for you and what they cannot. Discuss your objective with your dentist to perfect your smile design.
- Teeth Preparation– The teeth are buffed lightly to allow for the small added thickness of the veneer. Normally, about half a millimeter of the tooth enamel is removed. Ultra-thin veneers are now available which require virtually no tooth grinding. Local anesthesia is normally not required. But depending on the sensitivity of the patient, local anesthesia may be required for this purpose. The further procedure is different for composite resin veneers and for porcelain veneers.
- Resin Veneers– can generally be applied in a single appointment. After the teeth have been prepared, we will carefully bond and sculpt the composite material onto your teeth.
- Mold for Ceramic Veneers- For ceramic veneers, a mold of your teeth is prepared and sent to the laboratory for preparation of the veneers. Detailed instructions are sent along with including the color. The preparation in the lab can take several days. During this period if the teeth appear unseemly, temporary veneers can be applied at a small additional cost.
- Placement– When the ceramic veneers have been received from the lab, we will check for optimal esthetics and fit. The temporary veneers are removed and the teeth are thoroughly cleaned with water and pumice. First, we will place the veneers on the corresponding teeth to check for a fit and match of color and shade. At this stage, it is good for you to closely examine how the veneers fit and how they affect your smile. The color cannot be changed after the veneers have been cemented.
Once, everything seems satisfactory, our dentists at URBN dental will etch the inner surfaces of the new veneers (for better bonding), rinse them, dry, and finally cement the veneers in place.
Aftercare of Veneers
You will require a period adjustment, say about a week or two, because your teeth may have changed very slightly in size and shape. Follow the instructions below:
- Brush all teeth and floss regularly.
- Do not use toothpaste with abrasives.
- Avoid coffee, liquor, tobacco and other staining agents.
Follow Up Visit
A follow-up appointment in about two weeks is useful to ensure everything has settled.
What Should I Expect Afterward?
Please remember, you have got veneers which are just an aesthetic cover on your teeth. They are not natural teeth. The very close examination may reveal a small variation in shade or color. But generally, veneers are a very good option for improving your smile.
Note, however, that veneers will last you for several years, but will ultimately need a replacement.
Cost of Veneers
A variety of veneers is available on the market. Composite veneers are the least expensive and can be had in one appointment. These may change color over time, and their color may be affected by certain food items. Porcelain veneers and the branded “Lumineers” are more expensive. Cost can go beyond $2000 for a tooth, but for the less expensive types, $800 may suffice.